Those who drive on a road will encounter potholes. This is not just a new adage about life but an actual fact of life. Potholes exist, and they are a constant annoyance. We at Steely and Smith Insurance know how difficult potholes can be, and we have some suggestions on how to avoid them as best as possible or at the least minimize damage.
Potholes occur from water collecting under the asphalt, freezing and then cracking the asphalt. Here are a few suggestions to help deal with potholes as you encounter them on your daily driving activities.
• Check your tires – Be sure your tires are properly inflated. This is just good driving sense, but properly inflated tires will stand up to potholes more efficiently.
• Slow down – Some potholes are inevitable. Slow down as much as reasonably possible but try not to brake. Braking on a pothole can worsen the effect of hitting the pothole.
• Hold fast to the wheel – Losing control of your vehicle is dangerous, so keep a firm grip on the wheel.
• Look out for water in potholes – Water can hide the true depth of a pothole, so pay attention even more closely in the event of rain or after a solid rain shower.
Hitting some potholes is going to happen no matter how well prepared you may be. In this case, it is best to keep an eye on your auto. If you hit several on the course of a trip or over time, here are a few things you need to do to check for your auto’s safety. Look for any of the following:
• Bubbles – These will look like big blisters on the side of your tire. This is a major tire problem and needs to be addressed immediately. Go as slowly and as safely as you can to have this tire changed.
• The rim – Dents and dings in the rim are dangerous. Repair them like you would your tire.
• Damage – Check under your auto for visible damage. Take it to a reputable garage for a complete safety check.
• Listen – Funny noises are something to be concerned about; have them checked.
• Alignment – If your auto pulls to the left or right, your alignment is out. This needs to be checked and corrected by a professional.
Any or all of these issues should be checked by a professional. Take your auto to a garage you trust. We at Steely and Smith want you to be safe on the road, so contact us for a free, no obligation quote on auto insurance.
Need an auto insurance in Doylestown PA? Call Steely and Smith at (215) 345-9410 to know more about our other services.